Here are the major projects I have worked on in my career. I have also worked on numerous smaller-sized projects which are not listed.
FOX Sports Pulse
FOX Sports Pulse is a league, team and club management system for grassroots sports in Australia and New Zealand.
- Senior Software Engineer Contractor
- Consolidated email sending for main web application using Amazon SES
- Created new marketplace-like application from scratch using Python, Flask, Angular, SQLAlchemy
- Assisted junior developer with developing an HTML mobile app using AngularJS and Ionic framework
- Implemented various features in legacy Perl application as needed
- Performed code profiling to identify bottlenecks and implement changes resulting in 10x speedup
- Made presentations to development team on git and using the Perl Debugger
We hired Matt at a time when we were struggling to find smart full stack web developers to work on a legacy LAMP Stack. Matt proved to be just what we were looking for and needed.
He’s a smart software architect and engineer, with an extensive knowledge of Internet technologies and able to program in multiples languages. He’s able to maintain and improve legacy code/applications while still meeting project timelines, and also produces great results when provided with the opportunity to build applications from the ground up.
Matt has great communication skills, works well with other developers, and naturally falls into the role of a technical lead due to his willingness to thoughtfully put forward alternative approaches to solving problems and implementing solutions.
Throughout his time with Fox Sports Pulse, Matt was located remotely. However this had no impact on his ability to be part of the development team and wider business.
Matt exceeded our expectations and I highly recommend him to other employers.
Craig Churchill, CTO
|Perl 5||Python 2.7||Flask Restful||SQLAlchemy||MySQL 5||Angular.js 1|
|AWS (S3, SES)||MongoDB||Swagger UI||Node.js||Ionic Framework|
Sprongo provides video analysis tools for coaches to give feedback visually to their teams and athletes.
- Technical Lead
- Sole developer responsible for all back-end programming and server maintenance
- Helped guide major site redesign spanning several months
- Identified and fixed bottlenecks, dramatically improving the site response time
- Streamlined systems to reduce unnecessary steps, saving time and money
In his position Matt oversaw a major rewrite of the site and the introduction of a number of new features. He single handedly completed the required back-end tasks and successfully coordinated integration with the front-end. Thanks to his efforts our user base grew 2.5x while Matt was working at Sprongo.
Matt’s disciplined and systematic approach, attention to detail and willingness to go the extra mile, made him an efficient and effective developer. Matt’s effective oral and written communication skills contributed to effective communication and coordination across our team, which at the time was distributed across three different continents.
Any development team would be lucky to have Matt on board.
Can Babaoglu, Founder
|PHP 5.3||MySQL 5||Yii Framework||Rackspace Cloud Files||Zencoder API||Trello||Git||Beanstalkd|
DelfiNet is a software consultancy.
- Worked on various projects including Summit Evergreen and iwillteachyoutoberich.com and sub-modules as needed
- Came into Summit Evergreen part way through development to clean up codebase and help get it launched after numerous delays
- Jumped into new projects and got things done quickly without sacrificing quality
- Contributed to important development design decisions
Matt possesses one of those qualities that is critical in a talented system engineer — the ability to think through a problem on his own. Many recommendations for programmers say “great to work with” or “gets things done on time”, but very few talk about initiative and the ability to work through a solution on their own. Matt is a talented engineer who I trust to develop a solid and extensible solution with only broad strokes as guidance. His talent at not only at programming, but also problem solving, has saved me countless hours of micro-management because I can trust him to take an idea and run with it — accomplishing a complete and tested solution that continually exceeds my expectations. I would hire Matt again in a heart-beat.
Keith Perhac, Director
|PHP 5.5||MySQL 5.5||CakePHP 2.4||JIRA||Twig||jQuery||less css||Twitter Bootstrap||Git|
MyBDC Connect is an Enterprise Marketing Platform for car dealerships to manage their inventory and customer marketing campaigns.
- One of two main developers working remotely with technical lead
- Designed and implemented complicated modules (ie. dynamic ACL [Access Control List]) in a simplified manner
- Developed and Improved codebase by:
- Creating re-usable modules for common functionality used throughout the site
- Making use of Zend Framework’s Row and Rowset Classes to avoid long controller actions
- Abstracting out complex components to improve code maintainability and ability to expand upon components in the future
- Implementing PHPUnit tests and Continuous Integration
Matt has a passion for technology and for learning. He uses his abundant skills and experience to conceive creative solutions for all types of projects. Matt looks at problems as opportunities to be solved and enjoys seeing his solutions help others. Matt is extremely intelligent while remaining humble and easy to work with. He mentors junior members in a kind but authoritative way. Any team would be fortunate to have Matt!
Jamey Davis, Technical Lead
|PHP 5.3||Zend Framework||MySQL 5||FileMaker PHP API||YUI 2 JS Library||Sphinx Search||Phing PHP Build Tool||PHPUnit||Hudson|
Escort Design is a website management system helping the niche market of escorts get their own websites online.
- Worked with the site owners and junior developers to improve the development process by making it more transparent
- Identified performance issues and site bottlenecks
- Improved code quality
- Implemented testing framework for regression testing
- Helped hire an experienced developer to continue work on the site
Matt’s a self-motivated programmer whose knowledge of web app development best practices has been invaluable to our team. Breaking down problems into achievable goals is a great asset.
|PHP 5.3||MySQL 5||Simpletest||Beanstalk||AgileZen||Git|
Soapbox Guru helps people improve their public speaking. It is a video site for people to receive feedback on their speeches and presentations.
- Developed concept and idea with a friend
- Responsible for hiring and working with external designer
- Developed all code
|Apache||PHP 5.3||Zend Framework||MySQL 5||Youtube API||OAuth||OpenID||jQuery||Eclipse|
(Site now offline – code available at Github)
1widget was a Twitter/RSS feed aggregator that allows people to easily combine multiple Twitter and RSS feeds into one digest that can be inserted on their website. It gave users an easy way to provide their website visitors with dynamic content about the website topic.
- Conceived idea and developed concept with a partner
- Responsible for hiring and working with external designer and SEO consultant
- Developed all code
|Django 1.1||Python||PHP 5||MySQL 5||Smarty 2||CKEditor||Paypal API||Twitter API||SimplePie|
Capital Project Tracking (Vivid Solutions)
Capital Project Tracking is a system created for the BC Ministry of Forests to submit and approve new projects. The system includes support for budgets to be created, edited and tracked against spending.
- Created screen mockup designs according to specifications
- Developed most of the code for the application
- Wrote documentation for use by future developers
Matt is punctual and hard-working, self-motivated individual, personable and easy to work with. During his stay Matt demonstrated a high level of commitment to learn whatever was required to complete the assignments required of him and managed his time as appropriate.
Todd Warnes, Director
|J2EE (Java, JDBC, JSP, JSTL)||Apache Struts, Struts Tiles||Oracle 9i/10g||Eclipse||PL/SQL Developer|
Vivid Solutions is a custom software development house with experience managing large software projects.
Projects Worked On
- Compliance Information Management System – BC Ministry of Forests
- Collision Information System – BC Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure
- Real Estate Project Tracking – BC Ministry of Forests
- Performed bug fixes and implemented new features as required
- Created and updated Crystal Reports
- Refactored and improved code as needed
Matt was always great to have on my team – very knowledgeable, required minimal direction, and hard working. I look forward to working with Matt again in the future.
Andrew Barnes, Intermediate Programmer/Analyst
|J2EE (Java, JDBC, JSP, JSTL)||Apache Struts, Struts Tiles||Oracle 9i/10g||Crystal Reports||Eclipse||PL/SQL Developer||JIRA|
Rimon Law Group
Rimon Law Group is a high-end, virtual law firm based in San Francisco, California.
- Improved poorly designed site to make it easier for owners to add/edit content thereby saving money and time
- Added ability for owners to easily create landing pages
- Fixed problems with Content Management System
- Incorporated blog into site
- Added search functionality
Our firm first engaged Matt to perform some technical and design improvements to our corporate website. As a virtual company, our online image is paramount in attracting customers. Working with Matt was seamless; he flawlessly implemented every desired change and provided our team with daily updates of his progress. Matt quickly became our first point of contact for our company’s technical issues and a valued member of our team.
Yaacov Silberman, COO
|PHP 5||MySQL 5||Smarty 2||jQuery||WordPress||Bing API|
Forest Science Program Workspace (Vivid Solutions)
Forest Science Program Workspace is a system created for the BC Ministry of Forests to provide researchers and managers with planning, information management, project management and reporting functions.
- Created multi-step Add Project wizard
- Implemented Installations, Products and Activities screens for Projects
- Setup form validation using Struts Validator
US of Earth
US of Earth was a multi-player world domination game similar to Risk.
- Re-developed “Action Station” (for players to wage battles) into AJAX-intensive application
- Youtube video describing Action Station – all programming shown in video was done by myself
- Programmed complex attack calculations
- Helped improve design of site by moving from functional programming with a lot of repeated code to Object Oriented, DRY (Don’t Repeat Yourself) design
- Implemented offline challenge system for players to setup challenges with each other at Xbox, Playstation, etc. games and win points
Pensions BC is a British Columbia Crown Corporation responsible for administering pension benefits and services to plan members.
- Solved bugs and upgraded web applications resulting in improved performance
- Part of team that developed a new workshop registration system
- Maintained and performed updates to corporate intranet
|J2EE (Java, JDBC, JSP, JSTL)||Apache Struts, Struts Tiles||Oracle Portal||Eclipse|